Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Slippery Slope I Slid Down

I have noticed a change in myself in the last year.  I've become dissatisfied with my life.  I have a loving husband, two wonderful and beautiful children, a lovely home, sweet family and great friends.  And yet, I'm bored.

For example, my daughters' ballet classes.  While they dance away, I sit in the lobby with all the other moms.  In the past, I would occasionally chat with them but now I'm find myself so annoyed with them that I wonder if my face betrays my disgust.  Now when they talk about their little parties to sell kitchen stuff, or make-up, or bags, or whatever I just want to shake them and say, "Is this really the best you can offer the world??"  And then there are the endless school functions and tailgates that are discussed in exhausting detail.  And don't even get me started on their clothes.  It's dance class.  Neither you nor your daughter are auditioning for a walk-on acting role.  Stop it with the hair!  It's so annoying.  

Even with my friends I am annoyed with how much they talk about educating their kids.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for enriching the lives of my children, but not every second of every day.  They don't need that and I would become a terrible person if I tried.  And I honestly believe that pinterest and facebook are poisoning their brains.  Suddenly they feel as if everyone is cooking gourmet meals and have fantastically decorated homes and they better jump on that bandwagon too.  I refuse to get caught up in that mess.  I have no intention of joining the new breed of competitive mothers/homemakers.  

I'm just bored.  And a bored housewife is a dangerous thing.  As I have become aware.  Because now I'm entertaining ideas of what life could be like if things were different.  

And I'm starting to realize how easily things could change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment